The Number of Adult Diabetics Rose from 153 millions to 347 millions Worldwide: Study

Diabetes is one of the oldest chronic disorders with which most of the people are suffering today. Due to its rapid spread, many of the people by now might be aware of the dangerous effects of this non curable disease. But, a recent survey has revealed something more surprising about the effects. Read on to know those surprising details of diabetics.

According to the major international study conducted by collating and analyzing worldwide data on diabetes since 1980, the number of adults with diabetes reached 347 millions in 2008 which was double the number in 1980. This number shows the severity of the disease.

This study is the largest of its kind for diabetes and was carried out by International Collaboration of Researchers along with World Health organization and number of other institutes. It found that between 1980 and 2008 the number of adult diabetics rose from 153 millions to 347 millions. The researchers also found that, this 70 percent of the rise was due to population growth and aging and the remaining 30 percent is due to higher prevalence. The proportion of adult men is 9.8 percent whereas that of adult women is 9.2 percent in 2008.

According to the researchers, Diabetes is one of the biggest causes of morbidity and mortality worldwide. It is becoming more common almost in every part of the world since it is much harder to prevent and treat than any other harmful conditions like blood pressure and cholesterol.

The study also showed that

  • The pacific Island Nations have the highest diabetes level in the world. Glucose and diabetes are particularly high in South Asia, Latin America, The Caribbean, Central Asia, North Africa, and the Middle East.
  • Even in high income countries, the rise of diabetes is low in Western Europe and high in North America.
  • The region with the lowest glucose levels was the sub-Saharan Africa followed by east and south east Asia.

The researchers also warned saying that, unless better programs for detecting people with diabetes are developed, and until people try to improve their diet and physical activities to control their weight, diabetes will inevitably continue to impose a major burden on health systems around the world.

Regular work outs and healthier diet habits help the diabetics to come out of that state more easily. Even though it is not curable permanently, one can lead a medication free life by adopting healthy habits.

We strongly suggest you to read:
What is Diabetes
Causes & Symptoms of Diabetes
Impact of Diabetes on Person’s health
How to Manage Diabetes

VN:F [1.9.18_1163]
Rating: 5.0/5 (1 vote cast)
The Number of Adult Diabetics Rose from 153 millions to 347 millions Worldwide: Study, 5.0 out of 5 based on 1 rating

Leave a comment

*

SEARCH

Pages