How To Choose a Toothpaste?
As brushing your teeth twice a day is important to maintain oral hygiene, so is choosing the right toothpaste. Toothpaste plays a major role in keeping your teeth clean and healthy. It not only cleans the enamel of the teeth, but also helps in removing build up of plaque and bacteria.
Choosing a toothpaste
There are many types and brands of toothpastes available in the market and choosing the one that is right for your teeth can be a difficult choice. Some people tend to select the one that is not very expensive, but by doing this you are putting your oral health at risk. To help you out while choosing a toothpaste, we have mentioned a few things that you need to consider in a toothpaste.
- Look for fluoride: Fluoride helps in keeping the teeth strong by fighting cavities and preventing tooth decay. It also prevents your teeth from becoming sensitive. So see to it that the toothpaste you are choosing contains more fluoride.
- Choose toothpastes that are IDA approved: When choosing a toothpaste make sure it has IDA seal. The IDA (Indian Dental Association) is a resource that effectively helps in maintaining oral health. Dentists also recommend a toothpaste with IDA seal as it has proven in removing plaque effectively.
- Choose Anti-sensitivity toothpaste: Choose toothpaste that has desensitizing ingredients like stannous fluoride or strontium chloride should be chosen, especially for people who have sensitive teeth. These ingredients help in reducing pain that is felt when eating cold, hot, sour or sweet food or drinks.
- Toothpaste with less abrasives: It is better to choose a toothpaste that has less abrasive agents. These agents are the scratchy materials that helps in removing bacterial plaque and some stains on the teeth. Toothpaste that has an ingredient called baking soda, will be less abrasive when compared to other toothpastes. People who have sensitive teeth can opt for this toothpaste.
- Toothpaste that helps in whitening teeth: Nowadays there are some toothpastes that help in maintaining teeth colour. It is ideal for people who have undergone a teeth whitening procedure. So look for the toothpaste that has a whitening ingredient called hydrogen peroxide.
To keep your oral health good for life, it is very important to consider these factors while choosing a toothpaste. By doing so, you will not only prevent tooth decay, but it also promotes healthy gums and teeth.